BLOODCHILD RESPONSES

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?
I loved it. I was immediately invested in Butler's storytelling. I like fantasy a lot, especially when it discusses societies and culture which is different from the Tolkien mold. Incorporating fantastical, unfamiliar creatures will instantly draw my attention.

2. What connections did you make with the story that you read? Discuss elements of the work with which you were able to connect.
The connection I made with the story was not so much a personal one as it was one based on fascination. I like dense, compelling world building. If attentive craftsmanship is apparent in the text then it will appeal to me. It is what I try to achieve as a storyteller. Stories such as Bloodchild serve as my inspiration.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?
I am an illustrator, so if I were to adapt the story into a graphic novel, that would mean that most of the exposition would not rely on textual exposition. Tweaks to the dialogue would have to be made to fill in the narrative gaps, though most of the exposition would remain subliminal rather than overt to avoid the common fantasy pitfall of unnatural, inorganic worldbuilding. A seamless method of worldbuilding and discovery was one of Bloodchild's triumphs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REALITY

THE FICTION OF IDEAS

A RICH FANTASY LIFE